It’s a mishmash today – there were some really inspiring stories and examples I’ve run across this week I want to share with you. First, a shout out to our new subscribers! (By the way, as soon as we finalize our logo I will be moving our newsletter over to MailChimp. As our subscriber list grows, I need something more robust than Outlook to manage it.)
So, two heartwarming stories below and then in the closing, a list of volunteer opportunities – please think about how you can help us make this school a reality!
OneStone – is it a school, or is it a charitable nonprofit?
Here’s an amazing school design I came across this week, OneStone, a tuition-free private independent school in Boise, ID. At OneStone, “all learners work on One Stone ventures that provide real-world experience while helping to fund the school and its programs.” Which is really an amazing idea – why couldn’t a school be organized as a “student-led and directed nonprofit”? Why couldn’t it be funded by philanthropy not merely interested in creating a school but rather by those charitable organizations who are investing in the work of the organization? And why can’t that good work – in addition to benefiting the community – be a basis for learning? It gives me hope that one of Imagine’s signature program elements – to create a four-year class community service project where students use design principles to address a significant community need somewhere in the world – will be economically viable. And, it just goes to show how many amazing, innovative ideas are starting to percolate around the country (more on that below)
Why now could be the MOST amazing time to be a learner…
Great video from Will Richardson (Will was at SxSW Edu last week) on the surprising truth about learning in [traditional] schools, a look at some alternatives, and why now, if we have the commitment and the courage, can be the most amazing time to be a learner in history.
More Learning Links
From Pioneering magazine, a story by Hannah Bertram on her transition from a traditional high school to Iowa BIG, and how it transformed her previous connotations of education. https://education-reimagined.org/redefining-comfort-zone/
Have you been wondering how you can help Imagine! West Michigan bring this new high school to fruition next Fall (2018)? Here are our current volunteer opportunities:
- Participate in a parent interview
- if you are the parent of a preteen or teen and we haven’t talked, I would love your input! Just reply to this email and we’ll set up a time.
- Professional quality photographers
- we are working on marketing materials – print and web – and professional quality photographs will be needed. Email me if you can help!
- We also need photography subjects!
- Looking for a diverse group of teens 14-19, email me if you know someone who would like to participate.
- If you have a talent for writing, are you willing to help review a section or two of our charter application? Email me!
- This is for everyone… just keep spreading the word! Forward, like, and share Imagine! West Michigan but more importantly – tell a friend!
Thanks, Imagine! West Michigan community – for your interest, inspiration, and generosity.
🍀 Happy St. Patrick’s Day! 🍀